Each year the Tennessee Organization of School Superintendents (TOSS) selects and honors a Tennessee Superintendent of the Year, who is selected from nominees from each of the (8) TOSS regions. The East Region selected Oak Ridge Schools Superintendent, Dr. Bruce Borchers. One of the eight regional winners will represent Tennessee as the Superintendent of the Year who exemplifies leadership for learning, communication, professionalism, and community involvement. The recipient of the Tennessee Superintendent of the Year Award will then represent Tennessee in the National Superintendent of the Year Award Program of the current year.
Highlighted district accomplishments that led to the selection of Bruce Borchers for this regional award:
- Received the TSBA Award for Excellence in Education Program 2019 for Oak Ridge Schools’ 7 Keys to College and Career Readiness
- Received the ACT Tennessee K-12 Champion Award
- Facilitated the completion of a NASA Space Act Agreement
- Facilitated a Nanosatellite launch for a CubeSat named RamSat for fall of 2020
- Visited by Assistant Secretary of Education, James Brogan to celebrate accomplishments at Robertsville Middle School
- Earned AdvancED STEM districtwide certification—first in Tennessee, and the second in the world.
- Received the Tennessee Financial Literacy Commission 2014 Platinum Award (in recognition of outstanding support to Tennessee financial literacy initiative)
- Implemented Naval JROTC at Oak Ridge High School, the first program of its kind in school district history.
- Implemented a drone introduction to aviation program in our middle schools.
- Instituted a District Work Ethic Distinction
- Enacted Six Sigma work with LEANFrog evaluating and restructuring district salary and compensation plan.
- Instituted a digital learning initiative with 1:1 devices called Access Oak Ridge
- Initiated a Cyber Security focus including Cyber Patriot competitions.
- Received 2017 Anderson County Ally of the Year (ASAP) award for his support of substance abuse prevention and dedication to Anderson County.
- United Way Board Member, Noon Rotary Member, AASA member, Methodist Medical Foundation Board Member, and Oak Ridge Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors