Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System
All full-time licensed and support staff are required to participate in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (TCRS). Support Staff have a six (6) month waiting period. Participation is optional for part time licensed staff. Essential information is summarized below; full plan details are available from TCRS.
Employees Hired After July 1, 2014
Changes to the retirement plans administered by the state of Tennessee and offered to ORS employees took effect on July 1, 2014. For existing employees (hired before July 1, 2014), the retirement plans they are already enrolled in and associated benefits will not change.
For employees hired since July 1, 2014 the following applies:
- All full-time employees will be required to participate in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System Hybrid Plan. The Hybrid Plan is a combination of a pension (defined benefit) plan and 401k-style (defined contribution) plan that requires new employees to contribute a percentage of their base pay with the system contributing a percentage as well. The defined benefit plan is funded by the district providing a 4% contribution above and beyond salary and a 5% pre-tax contribution by the employee. This 9% is managed by the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System. There is a five-year vesting period for the amount contributed by ORS. Benefits are computed under a formula which uses the average of the member’s highest five consecutive years of salary (while a member of TCRS) and the years of service credited in TCRS and a benefit accrual factor.
- The defined contribution plan is funded by the district providing a 5% contribution. This 5% is deposited into the state’s 401(K) plan and managed by the employee under an agreement with Empower Retirement. All new employees participating in a retirement plan will be automatically enrolled in a 401k plan at a 2 percent contribution of their base pay. Employees may change the contribution rate or opt out altogether. Benefits accrue based upon the investment options chosen by the participant.
Employees Hired Before July 1, 2014
For employees hired prior to July 1, 2014 the following still applies:
- The Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System Legacy Plan is a defined benefit retirement plan. Employees contribute 5% and the district contributes a set percentage based upon actuarial valuation determined by the State. TCRS retirement benefits are computed under a formula which uses the average of the member’s highest five consecutive years of salary (while a member of TCRS) and the years of service credited in TCRS and a benefit accrual factor. Employees participating in the Legacy Plan are vested after 5 years of service.
Access to TCRS Accounts
- TCRS Member Self-Service is now currently available. This online functionality allows employees to update TCRS contact information, view their entire TCRS account history, retrieve member annual statements, maintain TCRS beneficiary information and apply for retirement by visiting https://treasury.tn.gov/Retirement/Information-and-Resources/TCRS-Overview-and-Self-Service. You may also call 800-770-8277, option 8. Feel free to contact Human Resources (865-425-9008) should you need additional information.
- RetireReadyTN.gov, is the 401K website where participants can gain access to plan balances, a meeting scheduler, educational materials, and a helpful dashboard for employees to track their retirement savings progress
- MyTCRS.com is the Concord website where you can see your defined benefit retirement plan where participants can gain access to plan balances, and a helpful dashboard for employees to track their retirement.
- • TCRS now also has a customer service call center with expanded hours to help answer employee questions. You can reach the call center at 1-800-922-7772 from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM CST.