Update About School Closure
Dear Oak Ridge Schools Families,
As I mentioned earlier, there was a possibility that the governor would extend the closure of schools in Tennessee. Just recently, we received word that Governor Lee has recommended school districts remain closed through April 24. We obviously will comply with this mandated closure.
We continue to work on instructional learning plans due to this extended school closure due to COVID-19. More information will be shared about our plans in the near future.
I encourage everyone to go to our webpage for coronavirus updates as we receive them.
I want you to know that my executive team and I have been meeting virtually to discuss the ever-changing landscape in our state, country, and world. We have also been working the Anderson County Health Department as well as participating in numerous calls with Commissioner Schwinn.
This week, the TN Legislators in the Education Committee voted on a proposal to ensure that no schools or students are adversely affected due to school closures, student absenteeism, or other hardships related to COVID-19. Following the passage of this bill, Oak Ridge Schools will not administer the 2019-20 TNReady and end-of course assessments. Oak Ridge schools will seek multiple waivers for numerous requirements for the 2019-2020 school year. A full list of these are here:
• 2019-20 spring administration of the TNReady and end-of-course assessments.
• 2019-20 portfolio assessment
• Teacher evaluation growth scores based on 2019-20 assessments, including alternative growth scores such as portfolios.
• Student final grades being comprised in part by 2019-20 assessments.
• School and district accountability based on 2019-20 assessments.
• 2019-20 Civics test required to earn a diploma
• The 11th grade postsecondary readiness assessment for the 2019-20 school year.
• Additionally, we are waiting on further guidance from TDOE on the following item:
- The state board of education shall revise high school graduation requirements to ensure that no high school seniors on track for graduation affected by spring 2019-20 school closures are adversely affected.
In the event that schools are required to close for an extended period due to COVID-19, we want to continue to support quality learning opportunities for student success. More information will be shared about our plans in the near future.
I encourage everyone to go to our webpage for Coronavirus updates and follow our district on social media: Twitter: @ORSchools Facebook: @OakRIdgeSchoolsTN and Instagram: ORSchools. The TN Department of Education has web page with Coronavirus updates as well.
I hope you all are taking care of each other and staying healthy,
Dr. Bruce Borchers