The Oak Ridge High School Robotics Team, the Secret City Wildbots Team #4265, competed at the FIRST Robotics Smoky Mountain Regional March 23rd -25th with 47 other teams at the Thompson Bowling Arena in Knoxville, Tennessee. After 10 Qualification matches they ranked 3rd with a record of 7-2-1. As the 3rd-seated alliance captain, they chose to ally with Category 5 Team #3489, from Charleston, South Carolina and Sigmac@t Robotics Team #108, from Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Together this three-team alliance moved through the eliminations earning the top three total match scores for the entire competition. These scores were: 445, 450, 455. In the finals, they succumbed to the impressive defensive measures of the 6th seated alliance comprised of Delphi E.L.I.T.E. Team #48 from Warren, Ohio; Flagship Team #3140 from Farragut High School, and Shark Attack Team #744 from Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
In addition to being named the captain of the finalist team, the Secret City Wildbots Team #4265, won the Engineering Inspiration Award sponsored by NASA, an invitation to the National Championships in Houston, Texas with the $5000 entry fee being paid for by NASA. This is the second time the team has won this prestigious award. Team members are excited to continue their “passionate pursuit for perfection” in three weeks in Houston.
The Secret Wildbots would like to graciously thank the following for their support this year:
- Diamond Sponsors: Bechtel, UT Battelle, CNS Y-12, Oak Ridge Public Schools Education Foundation, and Oak Ridge Schools.
- Platinum Machining Sponsors: Baird & WIlson, Oak Ridge Tool and Engineering, Arc Engineering, RT Coatings, ARMEC, AXIS, and Technical Machining.
- Gold Sponsors: Centrus, ESG, Inc, SAIC, Navarro, TVA, UCOR, Alcoa,
- Silver Sponsors: ORAU, UCOR, Fox Brothers Ace Hardware, Alcoa, Novacopy, Fastenal, and the ORHS Roborage Champs
- Bronze Sponsors: Ashley Parks, Bob & Jean Eby, and DeRoyal Industries
Thank you for your continued support for robotics and engineering at ORHS!
Article submitted by: Lisa Buckner
Photos submitted by: Angi Agle