Use the above links to determine what will happen if your child is confirmed to have COVID-19, displaying COVID-19 symptoms, or is identified as a close contact to a person confirmed to have COVID-19.
Current Oak Ridge Schools Health and Safety Plan
The safety of students and staff continues to be our primary objective. The following information outlines the precautions and practices that will be in place when students return on Wednesday, July 28 for the 2021 – 2022 school year. The data from Oak Ridge Schools in 2020- 2021 clearly supported that the safety measures we had in place kept COVID-19 virus rates low. We will continue to monitor and adjust our practices based on ongoing data collection so we can maintain a low rate of virus spread.
- Hand Sanitizer – Hand sanitizer will be available at multiple locations in each school. Students will be reminded and encouraged to wash their hands multiple times each day.
- Surface Disinfecting – Custodians will disinfect classroom and high traffic area surfaces such as cafeteria tables daily.
- Bus Disinfecting – Buses will be disinfected prior to the morning and afternoon run each day.
- COVID-19 Testing – Funds for the Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity (ELC) Grant will be used to purchase COVID-19 test kits. School nurses will be prepared to test students and staff exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms. Parent permission will be required prior to testing a student for COVID -19 and results will be available within 24 hours.
- Close Contacts – Students and staff identified as being in close contact to a person confirmed to have COVID-19 will be restricted from attending school in compliance with the Tn. Department of Public Health COVID-19 Return to School Decision Support Algorithm. During the 2020 – 2021 school year the number of students identified as a close contact who later contracted COVID-19 was extremely low. We will consistently monitor students that are identified as close contacts to a student or staff member confirmed to have COVID-19 to determine if further at school precautions are needed.
- Masks – The Board of Education has chosen to mandate the wearing of masks in all school buildings in the Oak Ridge Schools. This mandate is effective Tuesday, August 24, 2021. In compliance with Governor Bill Lee’s Executive Order No. 84, dated August 16, 2021, a student’s parent or guardian shall have the right to opt out of any order or requirement for a student in Kindergarten through twelfth-grade to wear a face covering while at school, on a bus, or at school functions by affirmatively notifying in writing the local education agency or personnel at the student’s school. To opt out of having your child wear a mask at school, on a bus or at school functions, please provide your child’s principal a letter or email requesting to opt out of having your child wear a mask.
- Staff must wear a masks when they are with students unless they have medical documentation stating differently. A staff member with a medical mask exemption will be required to wear a face shield.
- Staff may demonstrate flexibility when students are out of the building.
- Visitors to your building will be required to wear a mask.
- Students and staff are not required to wear a mask when outside.
- Masks will be mandated for individuals attending inside sporting events, performances or other similar school events.
- The mask mandate only applies to schools. SAB, Maintenance and IT staff are not required to wear a mask unless they are inside a school building.
- Bus drivers have been instructed to request that students wear a mask unless their parents have opted them out of this mandate.
- Principals may demonstrate flexibility in allowing staff to wear a clear face shield if they are socially distanced from students.
- It is understood that flexibility will be demonstrated in classes such as band and chorus.
- Ionization HVAC Equipment – Oak Ridge Schools is in the process of installing needlepoint bipolar ionization systems in all Oak Ridge Schools HVAC equipment. This technology helps clean indoor air and improve the air by reducing airborne particles including certain odors, viruses and bacteria. Currently the Preschool, RMS, Willow Brook, and Glenwood have received this technology. The systems are currently being installed at ORHS.
- Dashboard – The Oak Ridge Schools COVID-19 Dashboard will be updated each school day. The dashboard will provide information regarding, total cases, current active cases and the percentage of active cases for each of our schools.